Like the other neighboring villages, Strâmtura was part of the principality under the leadership of the voivodes from Cuhea (now Bogdan Vodă), which later disbanded after raising the princes to the title of leaders of county, probably granted to dissolve the system and administration of this kind. This was attempted because at the end of the fourth century, Maramureş was already integrated to Hungary.
In the documents along the time, the people of Strâmtura are known as active participants in the events that occurred. The most significant seem those related to the fight against the Tatars. The first Tatar invasion in Maramureş took place in 1566. On September 2, 1717, the Tatars were returning from Transylvania and went on the Iza Valley. At the place called “Piatra Ţiganului” between Strâmtura and Bârsana, the locals under the leadership of loan Stan and Simion Săpânţan, set a trap which has become a disaster for the invaders.
Strâmtura is a very old settlement and it was an important center before the time of the Roman rule. The proof is represented by the bronze objects discovered on 14 May 1885, objects that date back to the eleventh century BC, according to the specialists.
In 1326, on September 22, Strâmtura appears in the written documents bearing the name it has today. Thus, a diploma issued by King Charles Robert of Anjou shows that the appointed king “confers Stanislau Kenezul the land called Szurduk (Strâmtura) and exempts that land of any jurisdiction, proceedings and royal contribution and entitles the appointed Kenez that, according to the tradition and nobility laws, all the taxes of the peoples there stop anyone who would claim any contribution.”
In the year 1346, no one knows for which reason, one of Stanislaus’ followers required the strengthening of the diploma in 1326. It is believed, either that the successor of Charles Robert did not take into consideration the first diploma, or that other nobles were attempting to take possession of the estate.
The same year, the monkish convent from Lelesz, who had the right to authenticate the royal documents, transcribed on April 13, 1346 the ownership documents over Strâmtura commune. Strâmtura then passed into the possession of Prince Ioande at Rozavlea in 1411.